Today is World Sight Day 2012. This day was started in order to create awareness around blindness and vision loss.
Did you know?
- About 285 million people are visually impaired worldwide:
- 39 million are blind and
- 246 million have low vision (severe or moderate visual impairment)
- preventable cause are as high as 80% of the total global visual impairment burden
- About 90% of the world’s visually impaired people live in developing countries
- Globally, uncorrected refractive errors are the main cause of visual impairment
- Cataracts are the leading cause of blindness
- 65% of visually impaired, and 82% of blind people are over 50 years of age, although this age group comprises only 20% of the world population
The founder of TOMS recognized the need to help those who have blindness, vision loss, or the need for visual rehabilitation by started the One for One Program. Every time someone buys glasses from TOMS they support someone with vision problems by:
- Providing Medical Treatment To Restore Sight
- Providing Prescription Eyeglasses
- Providing Eye Sight Saving Surgery
There are so many ways to help give someone sight.
- Shop TOMS eyewear. Use code FALLTOMS5 at checkout to ensure your support.
- Download the World Sight Day ToolKit and help spread the word
- Donate your old glasses to a local drive. Check with your eye doctor to see if they accept old glasses for donation.
Personally, I know how frustrating it is to try and see without my glasses on. My vision is pretty bad…everything is blurry without my glasses. I cannot possibly imagine how frustrating it is for those with debilitating eye conditions causing blindness or pain that isn’t cured by just wearing glasses. I would encourage everyone to find someway to help support this wonderful cause. Even if it’s just sharing this post…you’re helping spread the word!Pin It