When I think of organization, my mind goes directly to getting rid of clutter and unwanted things. That is hard to do as we tend to want to keep things “just in case” or because we think we will use them. Over the last couple of years, I have really worked hard on getting rid of clutter. It has been so liberating to walk into different rooms and spaces in my home and it is clutter free.
It takes time and committment to know you are getting rid of things. Weather you are preparing for a yard sale, giving things away, throwing away items and donating to a charity, it takes time. I have found that I have to be in a mood to get rid of stuff and I get on a roll and just clean.
Decluttering things also provides a great segment into organization. Once the room or space is cleaned out of unwanted things, you are on a roll to start organizing. Below are some simple tips to become clutter free:
- If you haven’t used it or worn in 6 months, get rid of it.
- Have a mindset that you are willing to let go of things in this process.
- Have another person with you to motivate you to get rid of clutter (this can be a fun process).
- Get piles ready for what you want to do with the unwanted items.
- Be reasonable about what you want to get rid of. If you are not ready to depart from the item(s), then come back to them in a couple of months.
- Have fun! This will make you feel free when you are completed with it.
So, as you are on your path to organizing your home, work on getting the clutter out! If you have any great ideas or how your process was when you started cleaning out clutter, let us know.
Getting rid of clutter=FREEDOM!